Food & Drink
In and around Prague, you’ll often find restaurants or cafes serving authentic cuisine from the area. Mostly consisting of either pork or beef meat, the most favoured food is the common dish, dumplings (or “knedliky”). Made simply from wheat and flour, complemented with sauce and a side-dish, dumplings are the most traditional meal of the country.
We’ve put together a little directory for you below, describing some more of the city’s most well-known dishes:
- Vepřo, knedlo, zelo – roast pork, bread/potato dumplings, and pickled cabbage/sauerkraut in gravy.
- Svíčková – roast beef sirloin served in a vegetable rich sauce, often consisting of root vegetables and thick cream. Topped with cranberry sauce and bread dumplings on the side.
- Goulash – beef or pork cubes stewed in a spicy paprika sauce with root vegetables and served with bread dumplings.
- Buchty (Czech sweet buns) - traditional Czech pastries, made from yeasted baked dough and a sweet filling of your choosing.
A full course dinner, with drinks for two in the city’s expat area, will set you back about 963Kč. Whereas a more basic dinner out for two would be 417Kč, with a regular lunch in the commercial district, including a drink, coming in at around 139 Kč
Prague is home to many great international restaurants which cater to any palette. Once you arrive, you can look over our expat survival guide, which lists all of the amazing restaurants to eat at in Prague.
Here are a few of our suggestions:
|Café FX||Vegetarian||Bělehradská 234/120, 120 00 Prague 2|
Jugoslávských partyzánů 8, 160 00 Prague 6
|Ambiente Pasta Fresca||Italian||Celetná 11, Old Town, Prague 1|
- Bar & Grill in Holešovice, Dukelských hrdinů 48, Prague 7
- Cafe in Malá Strana, Lázeňská 19, Prague 1
- Masná 2, Prague 1
- Spálená 43, Prague 1
- Štefánikova 7, Prague 5
- Milady Horákové 3, Prague 7
- Vinohradská 60, Prague 3
- Dejvická 6, Prague 6
- Vítězné 15, Prague 5
- Small Square: Malé náměstí 13, Old Town, Prague 1
- The US: Americká 8, Vinohrady, Prague 2
- Luxembourg: Lucemburská 6, Vinohrady, Prague 3
|Kulatak||Czech||Vítězné nám. 820/12, 160 00 Prague 6|
|Lokal||Czech||Dlouhá 33, Prague 1|
|Café Mistral||Czech||Valentinska 11, Old Town, Prague 1|
Have a look at our cost of living section for more pricing information.
Check out these top 10 bars as recommended by backpackers: http://bit.ly/1sJ69Dq
Service staff are not paid as well as they would perhaps be in other countries. Please remember to keep a general rule of tipping a minimum of 10% to restaurant and bar staff for good service, that is, if the tip is not already included in the bill.
Conversion roughly equates to the following, as of 24/06/2016:
33.58 CZK = £1
167.91 CZK = £5
335.82 CZK =£10
839.56 CZK = £25
24.34 CZK = $1
121.72 CZK = $5
243.44 CZK = $10
608.60 CZK = $25